Today’s word from the academic word list is:
- first things first: which is correct “percent” or “percentage”? Is there a difference. Properly, it should be written “per cent” – though in my experience few people object to “percent”. My personal choice is simply to use “percentage” – that is safe.
- it is of course a highly necessary word for task 1 – especially when describing pie charts
- if you need another word to use instead because you are using “percentage” too much, you can try “proportion” and/or “ratio”
- percentages can be described as being high and low, if you are looking for a more academic alternative to “large” and “small”
- two useful phrases for you are: “percentage points” and to “express something as a percentage”