Today’s word form the academic word list is
This word has a number of forms including
This is very similar to adjust, yesterday’s word of the day, and it falls into the same family as change, modify, revise, adapt and adjust.
- make: They may need to make some alterations so that it works more efficiently (note that alteration can be a countable noun)
- fact: That still does not alter the fact that women are generally paid less than men (note alter the fact that is a set phrase)
- considerable/fundamental: This would mean fundamentally altering the roles of teachers in the classroom. (always think about qualifying your verbs)
- to: The first step would be to make some fairly minor alterations to the law.
- undergo: Many cities in China, for instance, have undergone some major alterations due to increased industrialisation.