What are you looking for?
A collection of practice materials for each part of the speaking module including cue cards
Speaking practice materials – a collection of the best free practice materials on the internet
Videos on the exam format
Three videos with a commentary to help you understand the format of the exam:
You might also be interested in these training videos showing format of the exam and how to approach each task
These brief videos from Learn Online (British Council China) give some excellent advice on basic exam interview skills:
A brief guide to how speaking is graded and how to avoid some common mistakes
Some basic advice on what to do and what not to do before and in the IELTS speaking exam
Exam preparation – part 1
Guide to IELTS speaking – part 1
Each part of the test is slightly different. This quick guide shows you what it is all about and contains a video to demonstarte the key skills you need:
Tutorials on common part 1 questions
- Vocabulary and ideas to describe your home town: a quiz and downloadable list of helpful vocabulary
- IELTS speaking – a common mistake – training video – a video tutorial on how candidates can make a mistake in part 1 by not answering the question and pre-learning material
- Part 1 speaking practice using Voxopop: a resource for you to practise part 1 speaking by recording yourself online and listening to others. Also some simple tips for part 1.
- IELTS speaking – part 1 – work/student: tutorial on how to deal with the most common part 1 question with a guide on how to avoid the most common mistakes
Exam preparation – part 2
Using your preparation time
This is one area where you want to prepare carefully. An usual part of IELTS speaking part 2 is that you get one minute to prepare what to say. Here are some different ideas to help you. Different ideas help different types of speakers. See which one works best for you.
- How to use your 1 minute preparation time: 5 different ideas on how to use that 1 minute in practical ways
- Making notes on the cue card: it isn’t always that helpful to amke notes of words. This lesson gives you other ideas for how to make notes
- Using a picture to give you ideas: sample part 2 speaking showing you how thinking of a picture can give you ideas and vocabulary
There are also different approaches to IELTS speaking part 2. Some people like to tell stories and others prefer a more structured approach. Read these lessons to se ehow best you can approach IELTS speaking part 2.
- IELTS speaking – part 2 – telling a story: an audio lesson with a sample listening showing how can you tell a story in part 2
- Using a story to describe a person: a lesson on how you can use the story telling technique to describe a person
- IELTS speaking – part 2 – using the cue card – more advice on how to use the cue card
Speaking enough and being coherent
Fluency and coherence are important in part 2. These lessons suggest different skills you can work on to improve these – worth 25% of your band score in IELTS speaking.
Exam preparation – part 3
Advice on dealing with the discussion part of the speaking exam
- Being cautious in part 3 speaking – advice on how to make your part 3 answer more coherent by using the language of caution
IELTS Speaking Vocabulary:
Somne areas of vocabulary are more importan tthan others in IELTS speaking. This is a selection of the more important ones. The idea is that it is not all about topic vocabulary:
- IELTS speaking – opinion vocabulary – a video tutorial with a download of some basic variations of “I thin” to improve the range of your vocabulary
- IELTS speaking – opinion vocabulary (2) – further advice on how to practice opinion vocabulary and when to use it in part 1
- IELTS speaking – comparison language (1) – how to use comparison language to extend your answers in parts 1 and 3 speaking with a downloadable worksheet.
- Talking about likes and preferences – variations on the word “like” with a video quiz
Pronunciation and online speaking practice
Practice on English Central – a video tutorial on using the English central website to improve your pronunciation
IELTS speaking practice with Voxopop – a suggestion for online speaking practice with Voxopop: record yourself and listen to others
English club – skypers online: a group of IELTS candidates who are looking for a speaking practice partner.
Record yourself: a tutorial suggesting that some of the best practice you can get is recording yourself