Where to start
This page is for general advice on IELTS task 2 writing for both academic and general IELTS. If you are new to IELTS or having problems improving your score, may I suggest you first check this video:
One useful way to prepare for IELTS essays is to learn from model essays. They can show you how to structure essays in different ways and what sort of vocabulary you need. All my model essays come with complete lessons to show you how to do IELTS writing task 2 more effectively.
IELTS task 2 vocabulary
A list of vocabulary to help with structuring an IELTS essay with an explanation of how to use the vocabulary in practice
- Writing better introductions by asking yourself 4 simple questions
- Writing introductions to task 2 discussion essays
- Exercise on writing an introduction to an overpopulation essay
- Featured video – IELTS essay introductions – a video from IELTS Ryan on how to write an introduction to an IELTS essay
Types of essay and IELTS essay structure
It helps to know the different types of essay you will meet in the test and what essay structure you need. I also suggest that you look at the planning lessons below to help with this.
Planning and thinking about the question in task 2 essays
- IELTS essays – the planning process – general advice with download examples on how to plan, how long to plan and what to plan for essays
- Planning an IELTS essay – the 10 minute solution – advice on how long to spend planning the essay and how to use your time efficiently in the exam
- IELTS essays – 3,4, or 5 paragraphs? – advice on how to select the number of paragraphs for your essay
- Understanding the task in IELTS essays – advice on how to read the question and identify the task and the topic
- Identifying three different types of IELTS essay question – how to identify the different question types and avoid some common problems.
Map of task 2 and writing band scores
The process of writing an IELTS essay
This is a series of lessons to guide you through the process of writing exam essays. It looks at each stage of the essay writing process and gives you practical tips and exercises to help you improve your exam writing skills.
Band score 8.0 essays
You’ll find general information about how essays are scored here and information for getting higher scores here:
Recommended essay course
This course comes highly recommended for all serious IELTS candidates. You get
10 interactive tutorials
a step by step approach to hep you write better essays
detailed feedback on 6 essays
detailed help with all 4 band score criteria
How to improve your IELTS essays
Some of my best advice I think is that you should spend time learning how to write an IELTS essay and not just do loads of practice. These lessons give you some training ideas:
Reviewing the essay
Ideas for essays
- How many ideas do you need for IELTS essays – a video lesson showing you that you may not need so many ideas as you think