This video lesson looks at the skills you need to answer short answer questions in IELTS listening. The idea is that each type of question needs a slightly different approach – in particular in your preparation time.
Before you listen
Before you listen try and think what you do in your 30 second preparation time for short answer questions in IELTS listening. One clue is that it isn’t enough just:
look for key words
If you want to listen well, there are more precise skills you need to think about.
Now listen/watch to my advice
What did you understand?
Here are the main ideas I wanted to communicate in this video lesson.
- Different question types need different skills – i.e. you need precise skills for short answer questions
- Practise smart – learn the problems of different questions – practise short questions by themselves to improve your skills
About short answer questions
There is 4 step procedure to think about:
- understand what the question wants you to do – e.g. how many words do you need to write
- look for what type of words you need – this means focussing on the question words
- look for “words that tell you when the answer is coming
- read the whole question to understand its meaning – remember that you may need to listen for meaning/paraphrase
More videos on my Youtube Channel
I am now regularly uploading videos to my video channel DC IELTS – some of these are on older lessons so you will only be able to find them by subscribing to the channel.