Here is some free IELTS listening part 1 practice. In theory part 1 should be the easiest part but in practice it isn’t always. Why? Very often you need to listen and write at the same time and that can sometimes make it harder then part 2.
Read my brief notes and then check your answers with the key you’ll find as a comment.
IELTS listening part 1 practice – the railway station
If you have a problem with this part, I suggest it is because you need to write down some quite long words or because two answers come quickly one after the other.
The tip is to write down notes as you listen and write the words in full after you have listened.
IELTS listening part 1 practice – at the hotel
This is another very standard question. If you look at the form, you will see you need to write names and numbers. This can be surprisingly difficult. Beware of the 17 and 70. It is seventeen but seventy.
Tip: the first information you hear, may not be the correct information.
See the answers
2. seat reservation. The catch here is “a”. That means you can’t write “buy a ticket” as that is not grammatical.
3. bus replacement. Again that’s a lot to write all at once. I’d use “bus replac” or something similar.
5. engineering works. Careful you don’t get confused by the snow and the leaves. Keep on listening. The first answer is not always the right answer.
6. CHOLMODLEY. A trick. It is actually how the name is spelled in English. The point here is to listen carefully to spelling and don’t get confused by wrong information given first.
7. 14. Should be easy as the info is repeated. That does sometimes happen so don’t give up!
8. 5 days. Again, you get the wrong answer first (6) then it is corrected.
9. Nuts. Don’t get confused by the vegetarianism. She says she isn’t one.
10. 01252 702360. Be prepared.