Today’s word from the academci word list is
- The two major forms of this word are minor and minority
- Minor is an excellent alternative to little and small – neither of which are normally appropriate in more academc writing. It may come in useful in task 1 writing in particular when describing figures.
- Minority is also extremely useful – particularly when you have to describe percentages/proportions and it should be (with majority) one of your stand-by words.
- Both minor and minority can be used (slightly unusually to describe people under 18 – a minor, someone in their minority
- There are any number of useful phrases and collocations to note here. here are jut a few of the more common ones:
a minor problema minor detaila minor changeminor injury/surgeryminor roadrelatively minoran ethnic minoritya minority government