Today’s word is
- clearly the environment is one of key IELTS topics
- there are 4 different forms of the word to be aware of: environment, environmental. environmentally, environmentalist
- when we talk of the environment, we are normally referring to the natural world. A different way of saying this is: the natural environment. Sometimes errors are made by trying to use “nature” in this way
- this is one of the more commonly misspelled words in English; note the n in environment just like government
- it is quite normal to use this word to mean “conditions”, so we can refer to an “office environment”
And that completes the set for List 1 of the Academic Word List. I hope to publish a series of review exercises in the next few weeks. These will look at word formation, prepositions and collocations.
Onward to List 2.