Today’s word from the academic word list is
- the forms of this word that you need include: consume, consumer, consumption and consuming
- perhaps the most common form of the word is “consumer” and there are several phrases to note here including “consumer demand”, “consumer goods”, “consumer services” and “consumer protection”
- consume and consumption are frequently used with “fuel” or “electricity”
- an idiom is to be “consumed by guilt/fear/hatred”
- another idiom worth knowing is “time-consuming”
This is a tricky area. Typically, customers buy products, clients pay for services, shoppers are people in the street and consumers are people who pay for goods and services in a more legal sense.