Today’s word from the academic word list is:
- This is one of those must have words for IELTS: an academic word that can be used in a variety of different contexts
- The forms of the word you need are complex, complicated, complexity, complicate, and complication
The difference between complex and complicated
These are 2 similar adjectives, but they do tend to be used differently.
- Complex describes something that is made up of several different parts that may be simple by themselves but combine to make a complex whole.
- Complicated is more of a value word. If you describe something as complicated, it tends to be mean it is too difficult than it needs to be. It is more negative. So, for example, your writing may be complex, but it should not be complicated.
- words used with complex and complicated include: area, issue, relationship and process
- complex has another meaning as a set of buildings, eg a sports complex