Today’s word from the academic word list is
- This is a word that may come in useful when you are writing a letter of complaint.
- The forms of the word that you need are compensate, compensation and, perhaps, compensatory.
- There are a range of prepositions you need to be able to use: You compensate someone for something, you receive compensation from somebody, you might receive something as or in or by way of compensation
- The primary use of the word is either legal/financial, so courts award compensation for loss or damage and people are asked to pay compensation
- Another regular use of the word is when one thing compensates for something else. So sometimes loss of sight is compensated for by a more acute sense of hearing.